CHICKEN, TURKEY, DUCK, GEESE, GUINEA FOWEL & PIGEONS! …these are all considered edible for human consumption.
Always store your poultry in a REFRIGERATOR (4°C) and cook to WELL DONE to destroy any food poisoning organisms! (an internal temperature of 74°C is acceptable)
ROASTING YOUR CHICKEN
we all love a juicy breast & thighs! – but the problem most people have with roasting is that poultry has different parts that cook at different times… To save you anxiety use a THERMOMETER – just insert it into the thickest part of the thigh muscle of the bird and check the temperature, the internal temperature should be at 82-85°C.
CUTTING UP A WHOLE CHICKEN:
It’s really not as hard as it sounds!
1. Place the chicken breast side UP, on a cutting board. Cut the SKIN between the thighs and body
2. Take one LEG in each hand. Lift the chicken to position him upright (as if he was sitting with his legs straight on the table). Bend the legs backwards until the bones break at the hip joints (you will hear a pop)
3. Remove the leg-thigh from the body by cutting (from tail toward shoulder) BETWEEN the joints, do this on both sides.
4. Separate the thighs and drumsticks, find the knee joint by bending the leg. With the skin side DOWN, cut through the joints of each leg.
5. To remove the wings from the chicken cut inside just over the joint, pull wing from body and cut from top down, through the joint!
6. Separate the breast and back by placing the chicken (neck end or back) and cutting through joints along the side of each side of the rib cage.
7. The breasts can be left whole or cut into two halves. Place the skin side down on the board and cut the wishbone in two at the V of the bone.